I often like to change things up a bit, like by having breakfast for dinner or a dessert for breakfast. When I cake across the concept of carrot cake pancakes on Joy the Baker I knew that I would be having a dessert for breakfast once again. Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts and I like the idea of having them in pancake form for breakfast. I also really liked the idea of topping the pancakes with a cream cheese spread like the one used on a carrot cake instead of using syrup. I started with my basic pancake recipe and added some carrots and spices. I could not really have pancakes without maple syrup and since I was going to be spreading cream cheese on the pancakes I thought that mixing the maple syrup into the cream cheese spread would be a nice way to do it. The carrot cake pancakes were easy to make and tasted great! I stacked them on top of each other and spread cream cheese on top of each so they almost looked like a carrot cake in the end. The carrot cake pancakes with maple cream cheese spread tasted almost like carrot cake and I really enjoyed them. It is always nice to have dessert for breakfast!
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup carrot (grated)
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
powdered sugar to taste
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and in a large bowl.
2. Mix the milk, egg, sugar and carrot in another bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
4. Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
5. Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
7. Mix the cream cheese and maple syrup and add some powdered sugar to get it as sweet as you like.
8. Spread the cream cheese onto the pancakes.
Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Black Forest Pancakes