Pad Thai, a Thai style stir fried rice noodle dish, has to be one of my all time favourite meals and I always enjoy using its ingredient and flavour combinations in other dishes. With all of the Pad Thai style dishes that I have been making as of late I was reminded that I needed to update the original Pad Thai recipe along with it's 5 year old photo. Given my obsession with Pad Thai it's a good thing that it's so easy to make at home and the only 'exotic' ingredients that you really need to track down are the tamarind concentrate and the fish sauce which can be replaced by more commonly available lime juice and soy sauce in a pinch. One of the great things about Pad Thai is it's amazingly magical balance of sour, salty, sweet and spicy created by the tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chili sauce. All said and told, Pad Thai really only takes less than 10 minutes to cook and things go quickly after the first ingredient hits the pan so the secret to success is in making sure that you have all of the ingredients ready to go before you start cooking. It's so easy to enjoy Pad Thai at home, even on a busy weeknight and with this recipe it is sure to become one of your favourite meals as well!
The original photo:
Stir-fried shrimp and rice noodles in a tasty sweet, salty, sour and spicy sauce topped with roasted peanuts.
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate (or 4 tablespoons lime juice)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or to taste
- 6 ounces rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 ounces shrimp, chicken or tofu
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime lime cut into wedges
- Heat the tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chili sauce until the sugar is dissolved.
- Soak the noodles in water as directed on package until just pliable.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the shrimp, shallots and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce and the noodles and mix and move to the side of the pan.
- Add the egg, let it set a bit and then mix it into the noodles.
- Add the peanuts and bean sprouts and cook for a minute.
- Add the green onions and cilantro and remove from heat.