I had a bunch of pumpkin puree leftover that needed to be used and I figured that it was the perfect opportunity to make one of my favourite pumpkin dishes, pumpkin pie pancakes, and to update the photos for the recipe! Pumpkin pie pancakes are one of my favourites because they are so nice and light, fluffy, moist and tender and not only do they taste just like pumpkin pie but they are so quick and easy to make! I mean really, it is as simple as mixing the dry ingredients, mixing the wet ingredients, mixing them together and the cooking the pancakes! In the past I would normally have served these pumpkin pie pancakes smothered in maple syrup but more recently I have been liking the pumpkin and caramel flavour combo and since homemade caramel sauce is so easy to make that is the way that I went this time. One of the nice things about caramel sauce is that when it is cool it is nice and thick but if you warm it up a bit it becomes much more fluid, like a syrup, which is perfect for pancakes!
Oh, my! Pumpkin pie pancakes smothered in caramel sauce; it's just like having dessert for breakfast!
If you want to be a bit more decadent you could use a vanilla bourbon caramel sauce !
Just look at all of that sweet, sweet caramel sauce dripping down the sides!
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2
Pancakes with all of the flavours of pumpkin pie! It's like having dessert for breakfast!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- caramel sauce or vanilla bourbon caramel sauce to taste
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg, milk, pumpkin puree, butter and brown sugar in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the mixture into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.