While I was thinking about what I wanted to do for breakfasts this week my thoughts kept coming back to apples, cinnamon and oatmeal. Although apple and cinnamon oatmeal sounded good, I thought that I would make it a bit more interesting and do an apple and cinnamon oatmeal bread. I wanted the bread to be full of apple flavour and to have nice big chunks of apple with every bite. To achieve this goal I used both large pieces of chopped apples and some of my own home made roasted apple sauce in the bread. Of course there had to be a lot of cinnamon and I thought that some raisins and chopped pecans would finish off the bread nicely. In addition to using rolled oats in the bread I garnished it with some more. The apple and cinnamon oatmeal bread turned out great! It was nice and light and fluffy and moist and full of appley goodness! I really enjoyed the texture provided by the chunks of apple, the rolled oats and the raisins and nuts. I think I might just have a new favorite quick bread.
Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 apple sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples (peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecan (chopped)
- 1 handful rolled oats
- Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, apple sauce, oil, egg and rolled oats in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients along with the apples, raisins and pecans until just mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the rolled oats on top
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.