Chicken noodle soup has to be the definition of comfort food, especially on a cold winter day and it is super easy to make at home from scratch! A flavourful homemade chicken broth or chicken stock is essential for a tasty chicken noodle soup and both are easy to make! Once you have your chicken broth or stock ready chicken noodle soup does not take too long to make where you are just cooking the vegetables followed by adding the broth or stock, chicken, seasoning and finally the noodles. At this point you have a pretty tasty chicken noodle soup but I like to add a few extras to make it even tastier! A while ago I figured out that you can enhance a chicken broth or stock by adding a parmesan rind while it simmers and why not do the same for chicken noodle soup? Since the chicken noodle soup is not simmering for a long time to bring the flavour out of the rind, I like to add some finely grated parmesan to the soup and let it melt in and disappear. I am a big fan of miso soup and I have found that miso works very well in a lot of soups including chicken noodle soup! Finally, I like to hit the chicken noodle soup with a splash of lemon brighten it up and add some freshness.
One of the things that I like about making chicken noodle soup is how efficiently the chicken is used! You start with a chicken and use it to make chicken broth, then you use the broth along with the meat to make the chicken noodle soup, then you use the carcass to make chicken stock and then you can make an even tastier chicken noodle soup!
A warm and welcoming bowl of pure comfort!
Chicken Noodle Soup
A super easy homemade chicken noodle soup that is the definition of comfort food!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon white miso (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano regginao (parmesan), finely grated (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat, add the onions, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the liquid, chicken and poultry seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the noodles and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Optionally mix in the miso, parmesan and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the parsley.
Tip: Homemade chicken broth or chicken stock is essential for a tasty chicken noodle soup!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Salmon Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)