I wanted to do a cornbread stuffing with my Texmex themed holiday turkey dinner and that meant that I would need some corn bread. Since I was making the corn bread anyways I could not resist playing around a little and I added some cranberries. Corn bread is a quick bread that is made with cornmeal and it is really easy to make. This corn bread came together quickly and easily. I could not resist having a piece just as soon as it came out of the oven. I topped it with some butter that quickly melted into the cornbread and a drizzle of honey and it was amazing! The tart cranberries went really well with the slightly sweet cornbread and the honey on top. The butter of course added a nice savoriness. With only one slice missing I now had my corn bread for the corn bread stuffing.
I used the leftovers to make corn bread stuffing with chorizo .
Cranberry Corn Bread
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries (cut in half)
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time followed by the milk.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Mix in the cranberries.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 20-30 minutes.