When I think about holiday cookies the first thing that comes to mind is my grandmothers butter tarts and now they are the one thing that I always make for the holidays. Butter tarts are a Canadian pastry consisting of a custard made with butter, sugar and eggs in a pastry shell. I guess butter tarts are normally made plain like that but in my mind they just aren't butter tarts without adding walnuts and raisins, just like my grandmother used to make them! I do like to add my own touch to the recipe by replacing half of the sugar with maple syrup which adds a hint of something special to them. These maple butter tarts are simply amazing! The all butter pastry is nice and golden brown and light and flaky and melt in your mouth good! The maple custard sets nicely and it's perfectly sweet and gooey and oh so good! Butter tarts are another treat that freezes well so you can make them ahead of the holidays to lighten the load during that busy time. Frozen butter tarts also make a great gift; I know I always enjoyed receiving a large container of frozen butter tarts from my grandmother to take back with me after the holidays.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Chill Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 12
Buttery tarts with crispy all butter pastry shells filled with a sweet maple custard, walnuts and raisins.
- 1 pie crust pastry, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Roll the pastry out to 1/8 inch thick and cut out 12 4-5 inch circles, pressing them into the holes in a muffin baking pan.
- Chill the muffin pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract, salt, walnuts and raisins and pour the mixture into the tarts.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven and bake until set, about 15-25 minutes.
Option: Replace the maple syrup with more brown sugar.
Option: Remove or replace the walnuts and raisins with your favourite ingredients.