I like to try to include green vegetables in my meals whenever I can and I really like mushrooms. When I came across this dish for baby boy choy with shiitake mushrooms that combines the two I bookmarked it immediately to try later. Given the Asian flavours and the fact that mushrooms go really well with steak, I thought that it would make a perfect side for the sichuan peppercorn steak . This side dish was a breeze to pull together; you simply saute the shiitake mushrooms, add the liquids to form the sauce and pour it over the steamed baby bok choy. The shiitake mushroom sauce was really tasty and good. It had a nice spicy heat that went really well with the mouth numbing sichuan peppercorns on the streak for a one two punch! It was nice having a bite of steak followed by a bite of the spicy mushrooms. What a tasty way to enjoy your green vegetables. I will definitely be making this again.
Baby Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 vegetable broth (or chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (optional, to taste)
- 3 large baby bok choy (the thick end of the stem removed, rinsed and steamed)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add the soy sauce and chili sauce and simmer to reduce the sauce to the thickness that you desire.
- Add the sesame oil and remove from heat.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the bok choy and garnish with the green onions.