These herb roasted onions by Ina Garten recently made their way around the food blogging sphere and I immediately bookmarked them to try later. While I was looking for side dishes for my steak tenderloin in a mushroom and blue cheese sauce I came across the bookmark and decided that it was time to try them. I really enjoy roasting vegetables of all sorts and I was looking forward to roasting onions with a tasty vinniagrette. This recipe is pretty straight forward, no muss and no fuss. Roasting the onions brought out their natural sweetness and the tangy vinniagrette both highlighted it and contrasted it very nicely. I am pleased to have found another really tasty way to enjoy onions!
Herb Roasted Onions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red onion (cut into large wedges)
- 1 yellow onion (cut into large wedges)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (chopped)
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss the onions in the dressing.
- Remove the onions from the dressing and roast in a preheated 400F oven until tender and slightly browned, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve drizzling the leftover dressing and the parsley.