I am not really a coffee drinker but I do like the smell of coffee and I enjoy coffee flavoured deserts. When I came across this recipe for roasted lamb in a coffee sauce on Cook Sister! I was intrigued. I had never had coffee in a savoury dish and I just had to try it. It was also the perfect excuse to enjoy some more lamb! I was able to pick up a small, already boned and tied, leg of lamb from a local butcher which made things much easier than they could have been. I also had to pick up some coffee beans as I had never had need of them before. The recipe was nice and easy and required very little effort and the results were spectacular! The coffee sauce tasted amazing! The lamb was perfectly cooked with a golden crust and it was a nice medium rare in the middle. The coffee sauce went really well with the lamb and the mustardy crust on the lamb was nice and tasty. I served the roasted lamb in coffee sauce with some harissa roasted squash and some steamed green beans with a tahini and yogurt dressing.
Roasted Lamb in Coffee Sauce
A tender roast leg of lamb served in a tasty, creamy coffee sauce.
Servings: makes4+ servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 small (1-2 pound) leg of lamb, deboned and tied
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Rub the salt and pepper onto the lamb.
- Spread the mustard on top.
- Heat the coffee, cream, sugar and brandy until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the lamb in a roasting dish and pour the coffee mixture over it.
- Roast in a preheated 375F oven for 20 minutes, basting a few times.
- Turn the heat down to 325F and roast until it reaches a temperature of 130F, about 20 minutes.
- Let the lamb rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour the juices into a pan along with the chicken stock and heat until bubbling.
Roast Beef with Coffee Gravy
Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb with a Pomegranate Port Sauce
Coffee Rubbed Roasted Pork Belly Tacos
Greek Style Roast Leg of Lamb with Lemon Roasted Potatoes