Although spring is officially here, it is still well below freezing and snowing out so I am in the mood for soup! This spinach, white bean and turkey sausage soup has to be one of my favourites and it is perfect for this time of year when it is still pretty cold out but I am already thinking about lighter spring fare. One of the things that I like most about this soup is how quick and easy it is to make and despite that it is so tasty and packed full of flavour! The turkey sausage and beans keep this soup light and healthy and I always like to include some greens like spinach, kale or swiss chard. If you have a parmesan rind lying around, toss it into the soup while it simmers to add an extra layer of flavour and hitting the soup with a shot lemon juice just before serving adds a beautiful brightness.
Feel free to bulk this soup up, and makie it even healthier, by adding more vegetables like zucchini!
Serve the soup with garlic rubbed crostini or garlic bread to make sure that none of that tasty broth escapes you!
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
A quick and easy soup with Italian turkey sausage, white beans and spinach that is full of flavour and nice and healthy.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2 inch) piece parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 bunch spinach or kale or swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Cook the sausage in a large sauce pan over medium heat and set aside, about 6 minutes.
- Add the oil, garlic and red chili pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, sausage, beans, oregano, bay leaf and parmesan rind, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer until it wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice, remove from heat, remove bay leaf and parmesan rind and serve while hot.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
Ham and Bean Soup
Lentil Stew with Italian Sausage and Kale
Tuna, White Bean and Kale Soup
Does this soup look tasty? Check out the Closet Cooking Soup Cookbook Tasty Soups!