While I was going through my freezer I came across a bunch of shredded cooked chicken which was quite fortuitous as I had recently been thinking of a chicken pot pie that I remembered eating at my grandmothers house when I was a kid. With such perfect timing I thought that I would just have to try making a chicken pot pie. A chicken pot pie is pretty simple savoury pie containing chicken, vegetables, and a creamy sauce. You can make the pie with a top and bottom crust or just the top crust or you can even use biscuits to form a crust. Since I wanted to work on my pie crust skills I decided to go with the full pie crust. For the filling, I wanted a lot of vegetables and some thyme and on a last minute whim I decided to throw in some miso for some extra flavour. I was a bit worried as I have not had much luck with pie crusts, but the chicken pot pie turned out surprisingly well. The crust was my best so far, though I still need to work on my crimping skills. It was nice and light and flaky and crispy and golden brown and buttery and good! The filling was really tasty and the miso worked well in it. I am a bit surprised that something so simple can be so good. This is comfort food at its best!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound cooked chicken (shredded or cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup peas (I used frozen)
- 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 2 tablespoons miso (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pie crusts butter or biscuit
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for a minute.
- Mix in the chicken stock followed by the milk.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, thyme, sherry, peas, corn and
- Mix the miso paste into some warm water and mix it into the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the filling into a pie dish with the bottom layer.
- Place the pie dough over the pie plate and fold any excess under itself.
- Seal the top and bottom crusts.
- Cut 3 1 inch slits on the top.
- Mix the egg white and the water and brush it on the pie crust.
- Place the pie onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven until the crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes.