I am a mushroom fanatic! The other day a recipe for fried curried mushrooms on Indonesia-Eats caught my attention. I really liked the sound of deep frying mushrooms and I was surprised that I had never thought of it before. As if they did not sound good enough already, they were also curried! I don't deep fry very often but I just had to try deep frying mushrooms! In an effort to ensure a nice and crispy coating I decided to go with a heavier batter and a panko breadcrumb coating. While I was thinking about the fried mushrooms and what kind of dipping sauce to enjoy them with I kept coming back to a gorgonzola blue cheese dipping sauce which I decided to go with. The curried deep fries mushrooms turned out great! They were nice and light and crispy on the outside and the mushrooms were nice and moist and warm and mushroomy good on the inside. Each bite of these crispy, crunchy curried mushrooms was magical...mmm... The blue cheese dip went really well with the fried mushroom finishing off a perfect appetizer!
Curried Fried Mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water (or beer or white wine)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pound mushrooms (I used oyster and king oyster, slice any really large mushrooms to ensure even cooking)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Mix the flour, water, egg and curry powder.
- Dip the mushrooms into the batter and then dredge them in the panko bread crumbs.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.