One of my favourite cookies for the holidays (or for any time for that matter) has to be these gingersnap cookies! The ginger and molasses flavour combo works so well in cookie form creating some cookies that are so addictively good! These ginger cookies could not be easier to make, you just need to mix the spices, including the ginger, cinnamon and cloves into the flour, mix the sugar, butter, molasses and egg, combine, roll into balls, roll in a coarse sugar and bake for a few minutes and then you are in a gingery heaven just before the ginger coma sets in! The balls flatten as they bake with the edges getting nice and crispy while leaving the centres nice and soft and chewy and the sugar coating adds an amazing crunch to the cookies! If you only bake one cookie for the holidays, you can't go wrong with these gingersnap cookies!
Nice and crispy on the edges and soft and chewy on the insides with the added crunch from the sugar!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 24
Soft and chewy gingersnap cookies that are crispy around the edges.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup coarse grain sugar (optional)
- Mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg followed by the molasses and the candied/crystallized ginger.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Form the dough into small balls, optionally rolling them in sugar and placing them on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until lightly golden brown on the edges, about 8-10 minutes.
Option: Add 1/4 cup chopped candied/crystallized ginger.