I have been hearing about key lime pies for a while and I have been wanting to try one. Unfortunately I had been unable to find them, that is until last week. I was bit surprised when I saw them at the grocery store and I grabbed a bag of them immediately. A key lime pie is a pie that is made with key lime juice, egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and a pie crust. The leftover egg whites are commonly used to make a meringue topping. I decided to skip the meringue topping to keep things simple and the pie was really easy to make. Once you have a pie crust you pretty much just need to mix everything and then bake. The hardest part was juicing all of those little key limes. The key lime pie turned out great! It was a little bitter on the first day but it mellowed out nicely on the second day. The key lime pie was nice and cool and creamy and full of an amazing lime flavour. I served the key lime pie with whipped cream. The sweetness of the whipped cream and the graham cracker crust went well with the tartness of the key lime pie. This pie is disappearing quickly!
Key Lime Pie(makes 6+ servings)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 graham cracker crust (prebaked)
1. Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, key lime juice and lime zest in a large bowl until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
3. Bake in a preheated 300F oven until set, about 20 minutes.
4. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Graham Cracker Crust(makes 1 pie crust)
8 large graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup melted butter
1. Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until they become crumbs.
2. Mix in the sugar.
3. Mix in the vanilla and the butter.
4. Pour the mixture into a pie plate and press it down firmly.
5. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until it just starts to brown, about 8-10 minutes.
Meyer Lemon Bars
Lemon Meringue Pie
Blueberry Crumb Bars with Lemon Cream Filling