I was pretty busy on the weekend and I wanted a simple side for my ham dinner that did not require much hands on time. I was thinking that simple cheesy potatoes au gratin would fit the bill perfectly. The potato gratin only required a bit of work to assemble and then it went into the oven along with the ham for the last 30 minutes or so. It was pretty much a fix it, pop it in the oven and forget it dish. Not only was it simple to make but it also turned out great! It is really hard to beat warm potato slices drenched in cream and covered in melted cheese. I had been planning on giving it a crunchy panko bread crumb topping but I realized too late that I was out of the bread crumbs. I got the enjoy the perfectly burnt cheese topping instead this time. Now that I have some ham leftovers I think I am going to have to make another potato au gratin but this time with some chopped up ham in it.
Potatoes au Gratin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound potatoes (pealed and sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional)
- Heat the cream, milk, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a sauce pan stopping before it boils.
- Place a layer of the potatoes on the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
- Pour some of the sauce over the potatoes to coat along with some cheese and thyme
- Repeat 2 and 3 until you are out of potatoes ending with a layer of cream topped with cheese and thyme.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 325F/170C oven until the sides are bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.