I had recently seen a recipe for a cheese and broccoli soup that had been on my mind. I had some broccoli in the fridge and I was trying to come up with a way to turn it into a side dish for my maple and mustard glazed chicken dinner. Then I thought about a cheesy broccoli rice which sounded good. There were several ways that I could approach a cheesy broccoli rice and I decided keep it simple and I went with mixing some cooked rice into a bechamel sauce along with some gruyere and parmigiano reggiano cheeses. I was also thinking that a risotto would be nice and creamy and good but a bit more work. As another alternative I was thinking that cheddar cheese would have been good, though it will have to wait for another time. I like to try to use brown rice whenever I can and this was a perfect time to do so. The cheesy broccoli rice was really simple to make and it turned out great! It was nice and creamy and cheesy and good. I was thinking that next time it might be nice to throw it into a baking dish and bake it until the cheese on top turned a nice golden brown.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 batch bechamel sauce
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1/4 cup gruyere (grated)
- 2 cups broccoli (steamed and chopped)
- Simmer the rice in the water, covered, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Make or heat the bechamel sauce.
- Stir in the cheeses and let them melt.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook until warmed.