When I make chili I often think about cornbread. This time I remembered reading about a cottage cheese cornbread that I had thought sounded really nice. I like cottage cheese but I don't have it nearly often as I would like and this was a nice excuse to get some. I was thinking that the cottage cheese would add a really nice texture to the cornbread and help keep it nice and moist. Cornbread is a quick bread and thus pretty forgiving with tinkering with the recipe so I took a pretty basic corn bread recipe and added the cottage cheese and removed some of the oil or butter. I also added some corn as I enjoy the sweetness and texture that it provides. The cottage cheese cornbread turned out great! It was nice and moist and light and fluffy. Most of the cottage cheese melted into the cornbread but there were a few pockets that when warm were nice and gooey and stringy and good. The cottage cheese cornbread went really well with the spicy 7 chili chili . I had a lot of leftover cornbread and on a whim I decided to try some for breakfast. I placed it into the microwave for a minute or so to warm it up and then I topped it with some meting butter and maple syrup. The breakfast version of the cottage cheese cornbread was amazing! It was like a super light and fluffy pancake that absorbed all of the maple syrup goodness. I will certainly be making this cottage cheese cornbread again for breakfast (or dinner) again!
Cottage Cheese Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup oil (or butter or bacon grease, etc.)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, cottage cheese and oil in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the corn.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.