After having made several sweet maple recipes it was time to make a savoury one. I remembered seeing a tasty looking maple and mustard glazed chicken dish on Noble Pig that I had bookmarked to try. Honey and dijon mustard are a classic combination that I really enjoy and I had no doubts that the maple dijon combo would be just as good. Recently I have come to really appreciate mustard and one of the things that I liked about this recipe was that it used a grainy mustard in addition to the Dijon mustard for extra flavour and a nice texture. In this recipe the chicken is breaded and fried until golden brown and crispy and then smothered in the maple and mustard glaze and before it is finished cooking in the oven. For the breading I used a mixture of regular bread crumbs and panko breadcrumbs to add more nooks and crannies for the glaze to stick to. The chicken came out really tender and moist and good! The maple and mustard glaze was great! It was really tasty and it had a great balance between the sweet and spicy elements. The maple really worked well with the mustard and its flavour came through nicely. This recipe is definitely a keeper! I served the maple and mustard glazed chicken with some cheesy broccoli rice and maple and dill carrots .
Maple and Mustard Glazed Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (pounded flat)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used a mixture of regular bread crumbs and panko bread crumbs)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour.
- Dip the chicken into the egg.
- Dredge the chicken in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a pan
- Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Mix the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, whole grained mustard, brown sugar and thyme in a bowl.
- Place the chicken in a baking pan and brush the maple mustard mixture onto it heavily.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes.