Not to long ago I got the chance to use key limes for the first time and I used them to make a key lime pie . This weekend I stumbled across meyer lemons for the first time and I grabbed some right away. I had been hearing about meyer lemons for a long time and I had been wanting to try them. A meyer lemon is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange which sounded like a great combination. I really like using lemons in desserts and one of my favorites is the simple lemon bar. A lemon bar is a bar with a shortbread crust and a layer of lemon custard topped with icing sugar. I was thinking that meyer lemon bars be would be the perfect place to start enjoying my meyer lemons. I used a pretty standard recipe for the lemon bars that I found of Joy of Baking and I just substituted the lemon juice and zest for meyer lemon juice and zest. They meyer lemon bars were nice and simple to make though I did run into one small snag; I had some trouble getting the bars out of the baking pan. No worries though, the crumbled lemon bars were still great! I really enjoyed the meyer lemon bars and the meyer lemon flavour was a nice change from ordinary lemons. I am still surprised that something so naturally tart as a lemon can become so magically good in sweet dessert like this. The next time I make these lemon bars I think I might double the recipe for the lemon filling to get even more lemony goodness in each bite. For now, I still have a few meyer lemon left to enjoy.
Meyer Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- confectioners sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in the flour and salt until it comes together.
- Press it down into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
- Mix in the flour.
- Pour the mixture onto the crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until set, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.