Shrimp has to be one of my all time favorite foods and I am constantly on the lookout for tasty new shrimp dishes. A while ago I came across a really interesting one for honey and walnut shrimp on Rasa Malaysia. The name drew me in at first as I like both honey and walnuts in addition to the shrimp and then I saw that it also included mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk. I would never have thought about a honey, mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk combo for shrimp and I was really intrigued. The fun does not stop there though as the shrimp are deep fried with a crispy cornstarch coating and the walnuts are candied! There was no way that I could pass up on trying this dish even if it did not sound all that healthy. The honey and walnut shrimp were pretty easy to make with the only challenge being the deep frying. I was not really sure what to expect from this flavour combination but it worked out surprisingly well. The savoury mayonnaise and the tart lemon juice balance the sweet honey and condensed milk and they tasted great together. The crispy coating on the prawns added a nice texture and provided a great surface for the sauce to cling to. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
Honey Walnut Shrimp(makes 4 servings)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnut halves
oil for frying
1 pound shrimp (peeled and deviened)
1 egg white
1/2 cup corn starch
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the sugar.
2. When the sugar water turns golden add the walnuts and boil for 2 minutes.
3. Strain the walnuts and set them on parchment paper to cool.
4. Heat the oil in a pan.
5. Dip the shrimp into the egg and then into the corn starch.
6. Fry the shrimp in the oil until golden brown
7. Mix the mayonnaise, honey, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice in a bowl.
8. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
9. Serve the shrimp garnished with the walnuts.
Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp (Tom Rim)
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki