Recently I made a jalapeno popper dip that I really enjoyed and I was craving more. This time though I was thinking that making actual jalapeno poppers was the way to go. In theory jalapeno poppers sound pretty easy; just stuff some jalapenos with cheese, bread them and fry them. I have had jalapeno poppers before where the jalapenos were still crispy and barely even cooked and I wanted mine to be soft and fully cooked so I decided to roast them up a bit first. After roasting the jalapenos I removed the loose skin to ensure that it did not interfere with the texture of the poppers. The soft roasted jalapenos were much more difficult to work with but it was well worth the extra effort. The jalapeno poppers turned out great! They were nice and crispy and golden brown on the outside and soft and warm and gooey on the inside with just the right amount of chili heat! I used a combination of cream cheese and cheddar cheese stuffing in the jalapeno poppers and the cheese melted nicely when the poppers were fried. Roasting the jalapeno peppers was the way to go as it added a ton of flavour to the poppers. The only problem was that the poppers disappeared much to quickly and now I need to make some more.
Jalapeno Poppers(2 appetizer sized servings)
12 jalapeno Poppers
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
2 ounces cheddar cheese (grated)
1/4 cup flour
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
oil for frying
1. Roast the jalapeno peppers in a preheated 450F oven until browned on all sides.
2. Place in a bowl sealed with plastic wrap and let cool.
3. Squeeze the skins off of the peppers.
4. Slice a slit down one side of the pepper and scoop out the seeds.
5. Mix the cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a bowl.
6. Stuff the pepper with the cheese.
7. Dredge the pepper in the flour, dip them in the egg and dredge them in the bread crumbs.
8. Fry in oil until golden brown.
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Parmesan Crusted Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara Sauce
Curried Fried Mushrooms
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Jalapeño Popper Quiche
Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Burgers
Jalapeno Popper Pizza
Crispy Baked Portobello Mushroom Fries