Despite the fact that it is still well within the cool Spring jacket weather here, I have been getting more into the warm weather food mood. I see warmer weather food as generally requiring little or no oven time, being lighter and including more salads. When those lighter meals include pan seared scallops in a maple syrup and miso sauce like this recipe that I encountered on Cook Eat Fret it is not hard to see why I wanted to make it right away. It does not take much to convince me to try a meal with both scallops and maple syrup and I always enjoy finding new ways to enjoy miso. This meal was super quick and easy to make requiring only a few minutes to pan sear the scallops, a few minutes to make the simple pan sauce and a few minutes to throw together a simple salad. I figured that serving the scallops on a salad would be nice as the extra maple and miso sauce would work as a dressing. The maple and miso sauce was really nice. I liked how the salty miso worked with the sweet maple syrup and how the tangy vinegar balanced everything out. What a great way to enjoy both maple syrup and miso!
Maple and Miso Scallops
- 8 large scallops (patted dry)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons miso
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the scallops and caramelize on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Add the vinegar, maple and miso to the pan and reduce to a sauce.
- Add the scallops back to the pan and toss to coat.