I had been taking a little break from maple but then I came across this recipe for a maple oat bread that I just had to try. This bread is baked with maple syrup in it and maple sugar is sprinkle on top. The maple-y goodness does not stop there though as I had a jar of maple butter that I was just itching to try. In addition to using the rolled oats this recipe also includes some whole wheat flour which I always like to see. This is a yeast based bread so it takes a bit more effort than the quick breads that I more usually make but it is well worth it. The smell of the maple bread baking was just amazing and only built up the anticipation even more. I could barely wait for the bread to cool down enough to cut of a slice to enjoy. The maple bread was great! It had a nice crisp crust with a light and soft inside and the smelled just like maple syrup. The maple flavour however was more subtle and I really enjoyed it. The maple butter that I served with the bread with added a ton of maple flavour as well. The maple butter tasted just like maple syrup but it had the texture of butter. I will definitely be making this bread again.
Maple Oat Bread
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- Mix the hot water, oats, maple syrup, butter, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add the flours and yeast and stir to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise to double its size, about 60-90 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and form it into an 8 inch long log.
- Place the dough into a greased loaf pan, cover and let it rise over the edge, about 60-90 minutes.
- Brush the top with water and sprinkle with the maple sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 350F for 35-40 minutes. Cover in foil after the first 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.