When I got the mangoes earlier in the week for the jerked pork wraps with mango and banana salsa I could not resist getting a full case. Even with snacking on them during the week I still had a lot left over and the first thing that came to mind as to how to use them was a jam. I remembered that when I made the mango and cardamom jam I was thinking that the flecks of cardamom looked like flecks of vanilla beans. A mango and vanilla jam also sounded really good and I had wanted to try making some. I used pretty much used the same recipe and replaced the cardamom with the seeds from a vanilla bean. I wanted this mango jam to be much chunkier so I cut the mango pieces bigger and did not mash them up. The mango and vanilla flavour combo turned out to be a great one! For some reason the vanilla seems to make this mango jam seem even sweeter. So far I have been enjoying the mango and vanilla jam on toast and it also goes really well on some plain yogurt for breakfast.
Mango and Vanilla Jam(makes 5 cups)
4 cups mango (stoned, peeled, chopped)
1 box pectin crystals
5 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 vanilla bean (seeds)
1. Bring the mangoes and pectin crystals to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
2. Add the sugar, lemon juice and vanilla and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat, stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
4. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
To sterilize the jars:
1. Wash in hot soapy water.
2. Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.
Mango and Cardamom Jam
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango and Cardamom Jam
More Mango Recipes