After posting about two desserts in a row I was looking for something a bit lighter and I was thinking that I should enjoy the asparagus as much as possible while it was still here. On the top of my list of asparagus recipes to try was this recipe for prosciutto wrapped halibut on asparagus sauce originally from Food and Wine that I found on Cook Local . I liked the sound of the simple pureed asparagus and leek sauce as I would get to enjoy the asparagus and I would get to use leeks which I don't seem to use all that often. And then there is the halibut; halibut is one of my favorite fishes but it is a bit expensive so it is always a treat when I do have it. The fact that the halibut was wrapped in sage and prosciutto reminded me of saltimbocca alla romana which is really tasty with those simple ingredients. The prosciutto wrapped halibut on asparagus sauce was really easy to make and it turned out great! The prosciutto wrapped halibut is fried in butter first until the prosciutto is nice and crispy on the top and bottom and then it is finished off with a few minutes in the oven ensuring that it does not burn in the frying pan. The crispy, salty prosciutto wrapping was so tasty and the combo with the sage made it even better and then there is the warm perfectly fall apart tender and moist halibut on the inside finishing it off perfectly. The asparagus sauce was surprisingly tasty for being so simple and it worked well to cleanse your palette between each bite of the tasty prosciutto wrapped halibut. Overall this was a really nice light meal and I will definitely be making it again!
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut on Asparagus Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 leek (finely sliced)
- 1/2 pound asparagus (cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (6 ounce) halibut fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sage leaves
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the leek and garlic and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Simmer the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the Spinach and cook until wilted, about a minute.
- Puree the leeks, asparagus and spinach in a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the sauce in a pan on low heat to keep warm.
- Season the halibut fillets with salt and pepper and top with a sage leaf.
- Wrap the halibut fillets in the prosciutto.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the fish and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the halibut to a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 450F/230C oven until the fish has finished cooking, about 5-10 minutes.