Last week I saw rhubarb in the farmers market and I made sure to include it in this weeks meal plan. I was thinking that rhubarb muffins would make for a great breakfast this week. I really like the way that the tart rhubarb works in sweet baked goods like these muffins. I decided to start with my favorite muffin recipe which includes some whole wheat flour and rolled oats in an attempt to make them bit healthier. It uses maple syrup, vanilla yogurt and an overripe banana to keep the muffins nice and moist while reducing the amount of butter. I did change the recipe a bit by increasing the amount of sugar as I figured that the tart rhubarb would require it. Normally I would spice these muffins with a bit of cinnamon but I thought that cardamom would work well with the rhubarb and I went with that. The rhubarb and cardamom muffins were a breeze to make and they turned out very well. The muffins were nice and moist and the cardamom paired well with the rhubarb and added an amazing aroma both while baking and after. The rhubarb worked really well in the muffins and their tartness balanced out the sweet muffins nicely. The rhubarb muffins were nice all by themselves or with a bit of butter but they were even better with some homemade strawberry jam!
Rhubarb Muffins(makes 12 muffins)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1 over ripe banana (mashed)
1/4 cup butter (melted)
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rhubarb (chopped)
1. Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, banana, butter, egg and rolled oats in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt in a bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients along with the rhubarb until just mixed.
4. Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin pan.
5. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Rhubarb Crumb Cake
Rhubarb Sour Cream Pie
Blueberry Maple Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan Streusel