Smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill is one of those classic flavour combos and my ears perk up every time I catch wind of it. A common way to enjoy this combo is on a bagel but bagels are heavier than what I am looking for on warm summer days. But what would be lighter? How about some fresh homemade biscuits or better yet dilled biscuits for even more dilly goodness? That was exactly the combo that I came across when I was flipping through the last Food & Drink magazine and I knew that I would have to make them. I have made dilled biscuits before that I really liked but this recipe claimed that freezing the butter first would result in lighter and crispier biscuits and I was certainly game to try it out. These smoked salmon biscuit sandwiches are finished off with some watercress for even more fresh herby goodness.
Despite the fact that I don't really like to have the oven on in the summer it is really hard to resist the allure of light and flaky freshly made homemade biscuits still warm from the oven so I was willing to make an exception. The dilled buttermilk biscuits came together quickly and filled my place with and amazing dilly aroma while baking. It was hard to resist eating them straight from the oven but I managed to wait for them to cool enough to make the sandwiches with them. The dill buttermilk biscuits were great! I did not really notice the difference for having used the frozen butter over the just chilled butter but when they were as good as they were it is hard to complain. The biscuits were nice and light and they went perfectly with the smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill and watercress filling. Overall these biscuit sandwiches were a really nice light summer meal that showcased the amazing flavour combo of smoked salmon cream cheese and dill.
Dill Biscuits with Smoked Salmon, Watercress and a Creamy Dill Spread
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dill (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 dill buttermilk biscuits (cut in half, see below)
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon
- 8 sprigs watercress
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, dill and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Spread the creamy dill spread on both sides of the inside of the biscuits.
- Assemble with smoked salmon and watercress in the middle.
Dill Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (frozen, grated)
- 3 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in the butter and toss until coated in flour.
- Add the dill and just enough buttermilk to form a sticky dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and form a disc about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the biscuits out of the dough and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush the melted butter on top of the biscuits.
- Bake in a preheated 425F oven until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.