Last weekend at the farmers market I saw some of the first of the zucchini for this year and on impulse I picked some up even though it was not on my list. Of course come clean out he fridge Friday and I find that I still have some zucchini in the fridge. I also had a few garlic scapes to finish off and after a bit of rooting around the freezer I came out with and Italian sausage. My first thought was a pasta as pastas are always great for cleaning out the leftovers in your fridge. I really like quick and simple throw together pastas like this as you never know what kind of great flavour combinations that you will come up with next. This is a pretty simple pasta that relies on a good tasting Italian sausage and the fresh garlic scapes for flavour. This dish came together in less time than it took to cook the pasta it turned out quite nicely. It was packed full of flavour and the garlicky goodness went really well with the fresh zucchini. I certainly am looking forward to the zucchini to come and this was a nice dish to start the season off with.
Italian Sausage, Zucchini and Garlic Scape Pasta
- 1 serving pasta (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 zucchini (sliced)
- 2 garlic scapes (finely chopped)
- parmigiano reggiano (grated, optional)
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package in well salted water.
- Cook the sausage in a large pan breaking it apart as you cook it.
- If there is not enough grease in the pan at this point add some oil.
- Add the zucchini and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic scapes toss and remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta water when the pasta is al dente reserving some of it.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat adding some of the reserved pasta water if necessary.
- Serve garnished with some chopped garlic scapes and grated parmigiano reggiano to taste.