With asparagus season fading and summers produce starting to enter the farmers market I wanted to try a few of my favorites asparagus recipes. Top on my list was the asparagus pesto pasta . I had discovered a while ago that asparagus makes for a really nice pesto and I have been making it every year since. Pestos normally include a nut and I usually use pine nuts as they add a really nice creaminess to pestos. Recently I had been wondering about using pistachios in a pesto and I though that now was the perfect chance to try. This is one pretty green pesto with the asparagus, pistachios and even a bit of spinach. Of course the first thing that I thought to try the pesto on was a pasta and my choice of noodles was a whole wheat penne making for a nice light and fairly healthy Summer meal. The pistachio asparagus penne was a breeze to make and it tasted great! The pistachios worked really well in the asparagus pesto and I am looking forward to experimenting with using them in more pestos.
Pistachio Asparagus Pesto Pasta
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 cup pistachio asparagus pesto (see below)
- parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, optional garnish)
- asparagus tips (optional garnish)
- pistachios (chopped, optional garnish)
- Cook the pasta in well salted water as directed on the package.
- When the pasta is cooked to al dente drain the pasta water reserving some of it.
- Pour the pasta back into the still hot pan, add the pesto and enough of the pasta water to make a smooth sauce that coats the pasta.
- Serve garnished with parmigiano reggiano, the asparagus tips and some chopped pistachios.
Pistachio Asparagus Pesto
Servings: 1 cup
- 1 cup asparagus (cleaned, trimmed, blanched and chopped)
- 1/4 cup spinach (optional, helps keep the pesto nice and green)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (toasted)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon juice to taste (optional)
- salt to taste
- Place everything into a food processor and blend.