One of my favorite things to do with strawberries is to combine them with rhubarb. Strawberries and rhubarb is one of those classic flavour combinations and with good reason. The tart rhubarb goes really well with strawberries and I could not let the summer go by without making at least one thing with them. Normally I like to go with a simple strawberry and rhubarb crumble or crisp as they are super easy to throw together but this year I wanted to try making a pie. I still have not mastered the art of pie pastry yet so I have been looking for excuses to practice and a strawberry and rhubarb pie was a perfect one. Pies are a bit more challenging to make and with this one I did alright with the crust but I did forget to add the cornstarch to the filling so it was a bit wetter than I would have liked. Despite the mistake the pie turned out great! The crust was nice and golden brown and light and flaky. The filling tasted amazing and of course the essential scoop of melting vanilla ice cream finished it off perfectly.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 3 cups strawberries (cleaned, hulled and sliced)
- 3 cups rhubarb (cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch cardamom (ground)
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice and zest in a large bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch and cardamom on and mix it in.
- Pour the mixture into a pastry lined pie dish.
- Top with the other pastry crusts, crimp the sides closed and slice some holes in the top.
- Mix the egg white and water and brush onto the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350F and bake until it is golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.