With the Taste of the Danforth Greek food event kicking off tonight here in Toronto I was in the mood for some more Greek food. I really like Garides Saganaki , a shrimp and feta dish that is baked in a tomato sauce, that I normally serve with some crusty bread to soak up the tasty sauce. The last time that I made it I thought that it might also be good as a baked pasta dish and I was just itching to try it out. I decided to go with a whole wheat orzo for the pasta which I added to the tomato sauce after they were both cooked followed by the shrimp and feta. The whole thing went into the oven where the shrimp cooked and the feta started to melt into the sauce. The baked shrimp and feta dish turned out great! The shrimp, feta and tomato sauce combo worked just as well in a pasta dish as it did by itself. The pasta absorbed a lot of the extra juices from the sauce along with all of its tasty flavour with no bread required.
Tomato and Feta Baked Shrimp Pasta
- 1/2 cup orzo (I used a whole wheat orzo) (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic(chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (chopped, parsley, basil, dill, mint, etc.)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1/2 pound shrimp (peeled and deviened)
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- Cook the orzo until al dente.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, tomato and oregano and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the herbs and green onions.
- Mix the sauce, orzo and shrimp, place in a baking dish topped and top with the feta.
- Bake in a preheated 425F/220C oven until the shrimp is cooked and the sauce is bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.