I have been wanting to try making a pasta salad for a while now and when I came across this recipe for a pesto pasta salad on Savoury Sweet Life I could not resist making it right away. Pasta salads are salads formed with a base of pasta and pretty much anything that you can think of can be added after that. Pasta salads are normally served chilled and often have a mayo based dressing. This pasta salad has mayo in the dressing but the dressing is primarily based on freshly made basil pesto. I really liked the sound of combining the creamy and tangy mayo and with the fresh pesto and I just had to try it. Not only did the dressing for this pasta salad sound good but it also contains two other great ingredients, artichoke hearts and peas. Luckily I was still able to find some fresh peas at the farmers market but frozen would also work well. This pasta salad came together easily with the hardest part being the waiting for it to chill in the fridge. The creamy pea and artichoke pesto pasta salad turned out great! It really was nice and creamy and the pesto and mayo dressing was nice and tangy and fresh and really tasty. As I found out just recently, peas go really well with mayo and they added a nice hit of sweetness to this pasta salad. The salad tasted great after chilling for just a half an hour but it tasted even better the day after when the flavours had had a chance to mingle a bit. With a pasta salad under my belt next up to try is a potato salad.
Creamy Pea and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
- 1/2 pound penne (I used whole wheat)
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (quartered)
- parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Mix the pesto and the mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Toss the pasta in the pesto mixture along with the peas.
- Gently fold in the artichoke hearts.
- Let chill in the fridge for 20 minutes or more.
- Serve garnished with the grated parmigiano reggiano.