I picked up a bunch of zucchini on the weekend and I was thinking about making a raw zucchini salad. I have used zucchini in salads before though mostly thinly sliced and I was thinking that grating it would also be nice. With the Taste of the Danforth Greek food event coming up this weekend here in Toronto I have been thinking about Greek flavours a lot and a Greek style zucchini salad was sounding good. Some of the first things that come to mind when I think about Greek food are extra virgin olive oil, feta, lemons, dill and mint so I added all of them to the salad along with some garlic and a green onion to round things out. This salad was really easy to make and it came together in almost no time. The key to this salad though is letting it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours to over night to let the flavours come out and mingle so you will want to plan on making it ahead of time. Once the flavours have had a chance to come out this salad is really amazing! The salty feta, tart lemon and herbs really come together to make this salad nice and bright and vibrant and light and fresh and good. This salad is nice and refreshing when served still chilled from the fridge on warm summer days.
Greek Style Zucchini Salad
- 1/2 pound zucchini (grated)
- 1 tablespoon mint (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dill (chopped)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the zucchini, mint, dill,green onions and feta in a large bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice, zest, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad and the dressing.
- Chill in the fridge for several hours to overnight before serving.