Over the last few weeks I have been enjoying a lot of BLTs and when I made the fried green tomatoes the other day it reminided me of how much I enjoy fried green tomato BLTs. A fried green tomato BLT is just like it sounds, a BLT sandwich where the ripe red tomatoes slices are replaced with gried green tomato slices. These sandwiches take a bit more work to make than your regular BLT but it is well worth the effort! The crispy coated tart and tangy fried green tomatoes go really well together with the salty bacon and the fresh lettuce. Although a smear of mayonnaise is grat on these gried green tomato BLTs, I often loke to go with a tasty remoulade sauce instead.
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Remoulade
A twist on the classic BLT swapping out the ripe red tomatoes for crispy cornmeal coated fried green tomatoes and adding a tasty remoulade sauce.
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper or creole seasoning to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1 tablespoon remoulade sauce (optional)
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Fry the bacon and set it aside retaining the grease in the pan.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese
Blackened Shrimp and Fried Green Tomato Po Boy Salad
More BLT recipes: