After trying and really enjoying the tom yum grilled fish I came across the grilled shrimp version on About.com: Thai Food . How can you go wrong using the tom yum paste that is used to make the amazing tom yum soup and grilled skewered shrimp? This time when I looked at the recipe the fact that the shrimp was skewered reminded me of a Thai style satay only using a marinade with more fresh ingredients such as the lemongrass, cilantro, green onions, fresh birds eye chilies, etc. There was no way that I could pass up on making this shrimp dish and I got to it on the weekend. The tom yum grilled shrimp was as easy to make as pulsing the marinade in a food processor, marinating the shrimp for a while and finally grilling them for a few minutes on both sides. For the minimal amount of effort these shrimp took to make they turned out excellent! The shrimp were nice and juicy and super tasty! Although the shrimp were flavourful enough to serve by themselves you could also serve them with a spicy Thai peanut dipping sauce if you like. One thing that I really like about simple meat dishes like this is that you can serve them as an appetizer by themselves or with a dipping sauce or you can use them as just another tasty component in other dishes like salads or sandwiches.
Tom Yum Grilled Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and chopped, or lemon zest or myrtle leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece galangal (or ginger, peeled and chopped)
- 1+ birds eye chili (or other hot chili or 1 teaspoon chili sauce, etc.)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (grated or sugar)
- Place the lemon grass, garlic, galangal, chili, cilantro, lime juice and zest, green onions, shrimp paste, fish sauce, oil and palm sugar in a foor processor and process.
- Marinate the shrimp in the paste for at least 10 minutes.
- Skewer the shrimp.
- Grill until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.