After successfully combining cheese and kimchi in the kimchi quesadillas I was looking to try the combo again. As is usual these days, I had a ton of zucchini in my fridge and I needed something for quick breakfasts for the week. While I was thinking about zucchini and breakfasts I remembered the herbed zucchini and feta quiche with a brown rice crust that I had made recently and really enjoyed. The next thing that I knew I had settled on a kimchi and zucchini quiche and I decided to go with a healthy serving of gruyere as the cheese in the quiche. I have really been liking the brown rice crust with quiches so I decided to use it again in this this one though I used short grained rice rather than long this time. The zucchini and kimchi quiche with a brown rice crust was easy to make and it turned out surprisingly well! Once again the kimchi went really well with the cheese and it added a ton of flavour to the quiche along with a nice kick of heat that will really wake me up in the mornings when I eat it for breakfast this week. With these successful fusion kimchi dishes down I am looking forward to experimenting with kimchi more.
Zucchini and Kimchi Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup gruyere (grated)
- 1 egg
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup gruyere (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 1 cup zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the rice, cheese and egg in a bowl.
- Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in a preheated 450F oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the eggs, milk, gruyere, garlic, kimchi, zucchini, green onions, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.