The farmers market has been full of early falls bounty lately including lots of eggplants, tomatoes and peppers. I really enjoy eggplant and I am always on the lookout for new ways to use it and I recently came across a really interesting sounding recipe for kebabs wrapped in eggplant baked in tomato sauce on Elra's Cooking . Kebab is a variety of meat dishes in Mediterranean cuisine where in this case it is a spiced ground lamb with lots of herbs that is wrapped in eggplant and then roasted in tomato sauce. One thing that I have always found interesting in Mediterranean is the use of cinnamon in meat dishes and I was kind of expecting/hoping to see it in this recipe and when I did not I added some for that hint of exotic. The next change that I made to the recipe was to broil the eggplant slices rather than frying them in oil to lighten up the dish a bit. For the tomato sauce I used a simple marinara sauce recipe except that I roasted the tomatoes first to add even more flavour. Though the eggplant wrapped kebabs took a bit of time to make, everything was pretty easy and they turned out great! I really like the way that the tomato slices on top roasted down to perfection, caramelizing slightly and concentrating their flavour. The eggplant worked really well as a wrap and meat on the inside was nice and moist and tender and tasty. The roasted tomato sauce finished off the dish nicely adding a ton of flavour. I served the kebab wrapped in eggplant with some feta and some crusty bread.
Eggplant Wrapped Kebabs Baked in Tomato Sauce
- 4 eggplants (sliced lengthwise to 1/8 inch)
- olive oil
- 2 green peppers (sliced into 1 inch strips)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- kebab meat (see below)
- 1 batch of your favourite tomato sauce (I used a roasted tomato marinara sauce)
- Salt the eggplant and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
- Brush the eggplant with olive oil and broil in the oven until tender, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Place some of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place one slice of eggplant across another and place some of the kebab meat in the middle.
- Wrap both sides of the lower eggplant up and over followed by the sides of the outer slice of eggplant.
- Place the eggplant wrapped kebab parcels into the baking dish and top with more tomato sauce, slices of tomatoes and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until the tomatoes and peppers are nice an roasted and the sides are bubbling, about 45-60 minutes.
Spiced Lamb Kebab Meat
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup herbs such as parsley, mint, cilantro (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Mix everything, cover and let sit in the fridge while you prepare the eggplant.