When I was at the farmers on the weekend I came across some green tomatoes which was perfect as I had just seen a recipe for a fried green tomato parmesan on Christies Corner that I had wanted to try. I like fried green tomatoes and I like a nice eggplant parmesan and I really liked the sound of combining the two. How could you go wrong with crispy fried tangy green tomatoes smothered in a tasty tomato sauce and drowned in melted cheese? Luckily I had some frozen marinara sauce that I had made earlier so the fried green tomato parmesan was as easy as frying the tomatoes, covering them with the marinara sauce and cheese and baking it all until the cheese was nice and melted and golden brown. The tangy fried green tomatoes worked really well in the parmesan dish and I liked the texture that the corn meal crust added to the dish. I wonder what other things can be used in 'parmesan' dishes like this? I am going to have to do some experimenting.
Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
- 2 green tomatoes (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
- Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the tomatoes slices in the flour, then dip them in the egg and finally dredge them in the corn meal and flour mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in the oil until golden brown on both sides, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Place the fried green tomato slices on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Spread the marinara sauce on top of the fried green tomato slices.
- Spread the cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.