When I think of Halloween the first thing that I think about is pumpkins and when I think about pumpkins the first thing that comes to mind is pumpkin pie. A pumpkin pie is pretty simple; at its base it is pumpkin puree along with some eggs to bind it and help it set, some sugar to sweeten it and of course the pumpkin pie spice blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. From there you can play around with the recipe to make it your own. In my case I added some cream to make give it a nice creamy texture and I could not resist adding a hint of maple. For a crust you could go with a pastry crust or a graham cracker crumb crust but I have been enjoying gingersnap cookies lately and I thought that they would make for a perfect crust for a pumpkin pie. With the crust made and the filling mixed all that is left to do is to bake it until the filling sets. One of my favorite parts of the pumpkin pie is that it smells amazing when it bakes. It is so hard to wait for it to cool down before digging into it. I served my pumpkin pie with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce which added a beautifully salty contrast to the sweet pie. Other common toppings include whipped cream, ice cream, etc.
A creamy pumpkin pie with a gingersnap crust.
Servings: makes 6+ servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or golden syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- Mix the gingersnap crumbs, sugar, ginger and butter in a bowl.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lightly golden brown, about 8-15 minutes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour into the pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the filling is set, about 35-45 minutes.
Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
Pumpkin Pie French Toast
Pumpkin Pie White Hot Chocolate
Pumpkin Pie Fritters
Pumpkin Cinnamon Role Pancakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Parfait with Gingersnap Pecan Streusel