Although I tend to spend a long time thinking about and planning the side dishes for holiday dinners you just can't forget about the dessert! When I recently discovered the sweet potato casserole I was amazed at how well sweet potatoes work in sweet dessert like dishes and I have been wanting to try using them to make a sweet potato pie since. I was set to make a sweet potato pie for my Thanksgiving meal this year but just before I came across the concept of a sweet potato pecan pie which sounded so good that I had to quickly change my plans. A sweet potato pecan pie is essentially a pie with a layer of sweet potato pie topped with a layer of pecan pie . How can you go wrong rolling up two great pies into one? I just had to try it!
Most of the recipes that I found for sweet potato pies and pecan pies called for golden syrup but I decided to go with a maple twist and I used maple syrup instead. The pie was surprisingly easy to make; you simply mix the two different filling, pour them into the pie shell and bake. The sweet potato pecan pie turned out so amazingly well! The sweet potato pie filling spiked with pumpkin pie spices and bourbon with the hint of maple was so good! The maple pecan pie was of course just as good as the last time that I made it and it went really well with the sweet potato pie. This of one of those cases where the sum of the parts is better than the individual components. Even thought the sweet potato pie was really good by itself and the pecan pie was really good by itself, together they were even better! I could not stop there and I topped the sweet potato pecan pie off with some maple pecan ice cream with a hit of bourbon.
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 6
A sweet potato pie topped with a pecan pie!
- 2 cups sweet potato, roasted, scooped and mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 maple syrup (or golden syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1 pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or golden syrup)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- Mix the sweet potatoes, eggs, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and bourbon in a large bowl and pour it into the pie crust.
- Place the pecans on top of the sweet potato filling.
- Mix the sugar, maple syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla and bourbon and pour it on top of the pecans.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the pastry id golden brown and the pecan layer is set, about 40-60 minutes.