The last time that I came across medjool dates I tried stuffing them with cream cheese and the sweet and savoury combination was really good. Since then I came across the idea of taking it one step further and wrapping the stuffed dates in bacon! You really just can't go wrong adding bacon to anything and I immediately knew that I would have to try it the next time that I came across some medjool dates. You can stuff the dates with pretty much anything and this time I went with my favorite cheese, gorgonzola and some spicy chorizo sausage. I was also thinking that almonds or even pieces of olives would also make a good date filling. The bacon wrapped stuffed dates are pretty easy to make. You just need to pit the dates, stuff, them, wrap them and then bake them for a few minutes. For the amount of effort these take to make, they are so worth it! The salty bacon wrapping goes so well with the sweet medjool dates! I really enjoyed both the tangy gorgonzola and the spicy Spanish chorizo sausage fillings. These bacon wrapped stuffed medjool dates would make a welcome addition to any party and with them being in season now they would be a perfect appetizer for your Thanksgiving dinner.
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Medjool Dates
- 16 medjool dates
- gorgonzola cheese (or other cheese or chorizo or almonds, etc.)
- 8 slices bacon (cut in half)
- Cut the dates open along one side and remove the pits.
- Stuff the dates with their filling and wrap each in a slice of bacon.
- Place the bacon wrapped dates into a baking pan with the seam of the bacon down.
- Bake in a preheated 425F/220C oven until the bacon is cooked and slightly crispy, about 12-16 minutes, flipping once in the middle.
- Let cool and enjoy.