Curry and butternut squash are two of my favorite foods and when I came across a a recipe that combined them in a curried butternut squash naan pizza on The Life & Loves of Grumpy's Honybunch I bookmarked it right away. The pizza was topped with curried roasted butternut squash along with caramelized onions and cheese and it reminded me a lot of the roasted butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza with gorgonzola and crispy fried sage that I enjoy so much. With the thoughts of both of those pizzas dancing in my head I decided to combine them and make a curried roasted butternut squash pizza with caramelized onions and gorgonzola. You really can't go wrong slowly roasting butternut squash into little sweet and tender cubes of melt in your mouth goodness and currying them was a great idea. For the caramelized onion 'sauce' I added some more curry powder along with some common curry ingredients including garlic, ginger and a chopped small green chili for some extra heat. I then topped the pizza with some mozzarella and gorgonzola and I finished it off with a generous helping of cilantro when it came out of the oven. The curried roasted butternut squash pizza with caramelized onions and gorgonzola was amazing! Butternut squash can be nice and sweet and that sweetness went really well with the heat of the curry. The curry flavour also worked well with the butternut squash, the caramelized onions and the creamy and tangy melted gorgonzola took it to a whole new level! Fresh herbs can work well on a pizza and the fresh chopped cilantro was the perfect finish to this pizza.
Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
- 2 cups butternut squash (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 thumb ginger (grated)
- 1 small green chili (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 pizza dough
- 2 cups mozzarella (grated)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Toss the butternut squash in the curry powder with the olive oil to coat.
- Roast the squash in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 30 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the onion and cook on low until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chili and curry powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, deglaze the pan and simmer to reduce a bit. (You want it a bit liquidy as this will be the pizza 'sauce'.
- Spread the onions over the pizza dough followed by the butternut squash and the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown on top, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.