Over the last while I have really enjoyed a number of Greek shrimp and tomato dishes such as shrimp saganaki . More recently I came across another one in the form of a shrimp pasta on Kalofagas and it quickly made it to my meal plan. This recipe is really easy to make and you can tell that it will taste great just by looking at the ingredients list. The tomato sauce is a pretty simple one consisting of onions, garlic, some white wine, the tomatoes, oregano, and of course lots of fresh herbs. This pasta would be perfect to make with fresh ripe tomatoes were they in season but in the middle of winter canned tomatoes worked well. I had high hopes for this dish and it did not disappoint! The shrimp pasta in the tomato sauce was so good! Given that all of the recipes that this one reminded me of added feta to the shrimp and tomato sauce combo, I could not resist topping the pasta with some crumbled feta.
Shrimp Linguine in a Tomato and White Wine Sauce
A quick and easy shrimp linguine in a tomato and white wine sauce that is nice and light and healthy and yet full of flavour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- chili flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs such as parsley and basil, chopped
- 1 pound linguine (I used whole wheat) (gluten free for gluten free)
- Heat the oil in the pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and oregano and simmer until the sauce just starts to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed
- Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp to the tomato sauce and simmer until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the tomato sauce from the heat and mix in the parsley and basil.
- Drain the pasta, toss in the tomato sauce and serve optionally garnished with feta.
Garides Saganaki (Shrimp Saganaki)
Garides Tourkolimano (Greek Shrimp)
Baked Shrimp and Feta Pasta
Mediterranean Fish Stew
Gigantes Plaki (Greek Baked Beans)
Fish and Zucchini Puttanesca Stew
Shrimp Linguine in a Tomato and Feta Sauce
Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
Shrimp Creole Soup with Bacon and Cheddar Dumplings