With Valentines day coming chocolate has been on my mind and in particular I was remembering the molten chocolate cake that I had made last year. I just had to make something as decadently chocolaty this year! After searching through my bookmarks I decided to go with chocolate pots de creme or chocolate cream pots. The chocolate cream pots are essentially a chocolate custard with the following simple ingredients; cream, sugar, chocolate and egg yolks. The recipe is a easy as heating the cream to melt the chocolate, mixing in the egg yolks and baking until set. The only question you really need to ask is; how sweet do you like your chocolate? I prefer dark chocolate and I did not want my chocolate pots to be too sweet so I only added a bit of sugar. If you prefer sweeter chocolate I would double the sugar in this recipe. My 'practice' run of making the chocolate pots de creme worked out wonderfully! They were nice and chocolaty and so smooth and creamy and good! So good in fact that one of them disappeared before I finished taking photos of them! :) Feel free to garnish these with powdered sugar, whipped cream or even sliced strawberries.
Chocolate Pots de Creme
These easy to make, decadently smooth and creamy chocolate pots are the perfect way to satisfy your chocolate cravings on Valentines day!
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Heat the cream, milk, vanilla and sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl, pour the hot cream over it and stir to melt the chocolate.
- Slowly whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate and cream.
- Strain and pour into 4 ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a baking dish and pour hot water into the dish until it comes half way up the ramekins.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven until it sets, about 20-30 minutes.
- Chill in the fridge.