The first thing that I think about when I have leftover corned beef is reuben sandwiches which are among my favorite sandwiches, but I was looking to change things up a bit. There was this half finished package of tortillas just sitting there begging to be used and I knew what I had to do, reuben quesadillas. I figured that a simple, straight translation of the sandwich recipe to a quesadilla recipe would be the best (It's too bad there aren't any rye tortillas around.), though I did saute the sauerkraut a little because I did not want a soggy quesadilla. I also warmed the corned beef up just a bit as I envisioned a nice and thick quesadilla and I did not want the center to be cold. The quesadillas version of the rueben turned out really well! The lightly toasted tortillas worked just as well as bread at holding this amazing flavour combination together. I made sure to keep all of the cheese near the tortillas to ensure that it all melted up nicely and it came out really ooey, gooey and stringy and good!
A reuben sandwich done quesadilla style with corned beef, sauerkraut, russian dressing and plenty of melted swiss cheese.
Servings: makes 1 quesadilla
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 (8 inch) tortillas
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cooked corned beef, chopped or shredded and warm
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut, squeezed and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon russian dressing or thousand islands dressing
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla into the pan, swirl it around in the butter, set it aside and repeat with the second tortilla leaving it in the pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on the tortilla followed by the corned beef, sauerkraut, russian dressing, the remaining cheese and finally the other tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Breakfast Reuben Sandwich
Kimchi Reuben Sandwich
Roast Beef Quesadillas
Corned Beef, Cabbage and Kimchi Burrito
More St Patrick’s Day recipes!