Beets are a vegetable that I enjoy, especially roasted, but I do not seem to have them nearly often enough. Because of this I am always looking for new ways to use them and recently I cam by this recipe for roasted beets with caramelized onions and feta on Our Life in The Kitchen that sounded really good. Roasted beets are pretty sweet and they go really well with strong cheeses like blue cheeses, goat cheese or in this case feta. Not only do we have the roasted beets and feta but we keep piling on the goodies with caramelized onions. I would not have thought of using mustard in this dish but after I heard it I jumped right onto the idea, though I did replace the dijon mustard with a grainy mustard which I have been into lately. This roasted beet dish turned out just as fabulous as it sounded! The sweet roasted beet and salty feta flavour combo was fantastic with the tangy mustard adding the perfect bite and the caramelized onions just took it over the edge. It is always nice to find another way to enjoy beets.
Roasted Beets with Caramelized Onions and Feta
- 1 pound beets
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil.
- Bake the beets in a preheated 375F oven until soft, about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Let the Beets cool then peel them and cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and caramelize, about 20-30 minutes.
- Mix the feta, mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl.
- Toss the beets in the dressing.