I was going over the recipes that I posted about last spring and I came across the asparagus and gruyere tart that I had enjoyed so much and it reminded me that I had wanted to try a mushroom version. These puff pastry based tarts are generally quick and easy to make and they have always been really good! I have been having fun playing with the toppings, both sweet and savoury and I was looking forward to the mushroom topping. For this version, I was thinking of slowly caramelized mushrooms and onions flavoured with some garlic and thyme and held together with some creamy and tangy blue cheese. Gorgonzola has to be my favorite blue cheese and it always goes well with mushrooms so it was my first choice for the this tart. Other than the time that it took to caramelize the onions and mushrooms, this tart came together easily and it turned out great! I just can't seem to get enough mushrooms and this tart certainly went a long way towards satisfying my mushroom cravings. I will definitely be making this again and again.
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine (or broth)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed as directed on package)
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, deglazed the pan and cook until it has evaporated.
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 16x10 inch rectangle.
- Score a line around the puff pastry 1 inch from the edge.
- Spread the mushrooms and gorgonzola over the middle of the puff pastry.
- Brush the outside inch of the pastry with the oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the a the pastry is golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley.