The farmers market is full of the fresh local asparagus and I certainly have been taking advantage of it. I made quite a few asparagus dishes this week and up first was asparagus in a hollandaise sauce . A hollandaise sauce is a buttery and lemony sauce that is purely decadent and so creamy and good! Hollandaise sauce goes really well with the juicy asparagus and the brightness of the lemon in the sauce makes it perfect of spring and summer. Hollandaise sauce can be a bit tricky to make, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually pretty easy though it does take a bit of time for all that whisking. Because of the time that it takes to make the hollandaise sauce this recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. I often like to top everything off with a poached egg to make it more of a light meal. This has to be one of the best ways to enjoy some fresh asparagus in the spring!
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in Hollandaise Sauce
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup hollandaise sauce, warm
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, swirl the water in the pot and pour the egg from the bowl into the water and repeat for remaining egg.
- Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes and fish them out.
- Arrange the asparagus on plates and top with the eggs and the hollandaise sauce.