I am really into Mexican style egg breakfasts! They are always easy to make, super tasty, fulfilling and they are usually fairly healthy. Among the Mexican style egg breakfasts huevos rancheros has to be one of my favorites. Huevos rancheros consists of a fried tortilla topped with a fried egg and a tomato based sauce and from there you can add any extras you like. Some of my favorite extras are black beans or jalapeno spiced black beans , avocado, cilantro and a bit of cheese. Although I really like huevos rancheros with the tomato sauce, I had been been wanting to try them with a tomatillo salsa verde . The other week when I made the batch of salsa verde I made sure to make enough extra to be able to make some salsa verde huevos rancheros a few times that week. The salsa verde huevos rancheros worked out really well! You really can't go wrong with a freshly homemade batch of salsa verde and it this case it made the Mexican style egg breakfast sing with flavour!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Salsa Verde Huevos Rancheros
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup black beans (warm, or jalapeno spiced black beans)
- 1 cup salsa verde (warm)
- 1 avocado (stoned, scooped and sliced)
- 1/2 cup queso fresco (or feta, crumbled)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Lightly toast the tortillas in the oil and set aside.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up.
- Place a tortilla on each plate and top with the black beans followed by the salsa verde, eggs, more salsa verde, queso fresco, avocado and cilantro.